Researching the Royal Humane Society’s archive
Held by London Metropolitan Archives
The entire archive of the Royal Humane Society was gifted by the trustees of the Society to London Metropolitan Archives in October 2008 and formally transferred to LMA’s custodianship on 4 November 2008. We are pleased to announce that it is now available for research either by visiting LMA in person or by submitting a research request to them.
LMA’ s contact details are:
40 Northampton Road
London EC1R 0HB
020 7332 3820
The general enquiry team is available at email@example.com
Before contacting LMA, please read the information below:
Advice before you undertake research:
Please note that all records of awards granted by the Society are filed in order of the date the Committee reviewed the case and then by the allotted case number and name(s) of the awardee(s). If you’re trying to trace the details of an award granted by the Society, in order to facilitate your own research or that done for you by LMA, you’ll need the following information.
- the name of the recipient
- either the case number, the date the award was granted (Committee Meeting date) or the date of the event. if you’re not sure of the date, please choose a period of 10 years in which the award was most likely to have taken place or been granted.
It also helps if you can provide the following information:
- the kind of award granted eg. bronze medal, testimonial on vellum
- where the event took place
- a general description of what happened
Replacement of past awards
We cannot create a duplicate of an award document because no copies of the originals were kept. However, we can prepare a ‘Certificate of Past Award’, which will look very similar to the original. Click Here to see an example certificate. It is A4 size, signed by the current Secretary of the Society, and stamped with the impress of the Society.
You will need to provide the following information so that we can produce the certificate:
- The date of the committee meeting at which the award was approved.
- The name of the RHS President at the time
- The Chairman of the committee meeting
- The type of award given
- The name of the awardee
- The date of the incident
- The location of the incident
- A general description of the incident
- The RHS Case number
Our archives are no longer held by the Society, being gifted to the LMA in 2008. Therefore, if you do not have all of the above information this can be obtained by contacting the enquiries team at the LMA who will be able to assist (Please see above for how to contact the LMA). They will charge for this service.
Cost of Certificate
When you have all the above information this can then be sent to us, together with the fee for producing the certificate. The cost of the certificate including postage is 20£ (UK & Europe) and 25£ (Worldwide). Payment can be made by cheque or via bank transfer.
Our bank details are:
Bank: Drummonds at RBS
Account name: Royal Humane Society
Account number: 10321074
Sort code: 160038